CARBON FOOTPRINT ASSESSMENT ISO14064
Carbon Foot-Print assessment is now a concern for all stakeholders involved in the issue of climate change. It is fundamental for managing greenhouse gases.
it is required by companies that are involved in GHG emissions trading according to international emission mitigation, adaptation and reduction standards.
Verification and validation body is responsible to verify the credibility of the sustainability published reports.
In particular, Carbon foot print assessment refers mostly to cement factories, pulp and paper producing installations, ceramic product factories, lime production installations, mineral oil refineries and also activities that include combustion emissions or airline companies, but the list of related sectors is expanding.
specifies principles and requirements at the organization level for the quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and removals. It includes requirements for the design, development, management, reporting and verification of an organization’s GHG inventory.
WHY A CARBON FOOTPRINT SHOULD BE VERIFIED ?
Companies are increasingly being judged based on their sustainable actions by business partners, investors, analysts, the media, and consumers. A sense of responsibility and dedication to climate protection is expected. Companies can use a carbon footprint inventory to determine their climate-relevant emissions. It then serves as a decision-making basis for developing climate protection targets and charting a strategic route.
Is that, however, sufficient?
It will be sufficient only when a Greenhouse Gas (GHG) balance has been independently verified, it becomes genuinely reliable and can be shared in a meaningful way.
BENEFITS OF VERIFICATION OF CARBON FOOTPRINT
The basic benefits of carbon footprint Verification are the following:
- Achieve and demonstrate legal compliance in areas of the world where verification is a legal requirement
- Allow for the company to participate in emission trading schemes
- Identify operational carbon footprint and opportunities for reduction
- Identify opportunities for energy consumption and optimisation of energy efficiency
- Present credible disclosure to stakeholders and investors
- Increase of energy and environmental awareness among personnel
- Demonstrate management commitment and Improvement of corporate image
The goal of the verification is to create reliability and transparency, identify emission drivers and push innovation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption and raw material expenditures.