ISO 22000 CERTIFICATION
ISO 22000 specifies the general requirements for development, application and improvement of a company’s Food Safety Management System. ISO 22000 is addressed to all companies that participate directly or indirectly in the food supply chain, and it can be applied by all companies, regardless of their size or complexity.
ISO 22000 is the top Food Safety Management Systems certification standard. The standard’s fundamental principles are:
- Effective control throughout the food supply chain
- Effective communication among all the interested parties of the food supply chain (businesses, suppliers, clients, authorities)
- Systemic management
- The required programs
- The principles of hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP)
The standard is also based on the principles that are common to management system standards. The management principles are:
- Focus on the customer
- Engagement of top management
- Active participation of personnel
- A process approaches
- Continual improvement
- Documentation-based decision making
- Management of relationships with interested parties
What is the application field of the standard?
This certification is designed for all businesses – regardless of size or complexity – that are involved directly or indirectly in the food supply chain, from primary production, harvesting and production of feed to processing, the food industry, wholesale and retail, catering, storage and distribution. It is also for businesses that manufacture equipment, packaging materials, cleaning and sanitization materials, additives and ingredients.
What are the benefits of certification?
ISO 22000 application and certification can add value to an organization through:
- Ensuring the confidence of customers, consumers and other interested parties in an organization’s ability to consistently provide food-related products and services that are safe and meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensuring client confidence that the product and/or service provided satisfies the mutually agreed requirements as well as the applicable legal and regulatory provisions on food safety.
- Application of measures for ongoing improvement, with the aim of continually improving the business’s operations
- Creating a comparative advantage and attracting new clients and investors in international markets